If you are tired of the various air travel regulations regarding bringing pets on board, bringing her along in your car should be a decent plan. Getting the ideal car seat for your dog might be challenging as there are different options available on the market. Fortunately for you, we’ve done the bulk of the work by reviewing some of the best dog car seats for large dogs.
Who Needs The Best Dog Car Seat for Large Dogs?
The Best Dog Car Seat for Large Dogs is for all large dog owners who deem it fit to take their pet along on any journey in their car. Besides, there is a potential danger if you don’t restrain your dog within your car’s confine. If you are looking to give your dog adequate security and safety, you might want to get one of the Best Dog Car Seats for Large Dogs.
Reviews of the Best Car Dog Seats for Large Dogs
|Brand||Product Name||Editor's Pick||Price||Rating|
|K & H Bucket Booster Pet Seat||Best Overall||$$$||4.8|
|PetSafe Happy Ride Deluxe Booster Seat||Best Safety Leash||$||4.4|
|BOCHAO Pet Booster Seat||Beat Storage For Dog Treats||$$||4.5|
|BLOBLO Pet Booster Seat||Best Resistance To Bites||$$||4.7|
|Kurgo Car Pet Booster Seat||Best Resistance To Water and Moisture||$$||4.5|
1. K & H Bucket Booster Pet Seat (Best Overall)
We have chosen the K & H Bucket Booster Pet Seat as our overall best dog seat because it is manufactured with a built-in warmer, which gives your dog that required body heat, especially if the climate is frigid. This product comes in small and large sizes, and its cover is washable and removable.
- It has a curved back for an easier fit on your car’s seat.
- Comes with secured buckles, which keep your pet safe.
- It has two additional tethers, which you can fasten on your dog’s collar for better security.
- A firm foam all-round the seat keeps your pet stable while peeping out of the window.
2. PetSafe Happy Ride Deluxe Booster Seat (Best Safety Leash)
The advantage of the PetSafe Happy Ride Deluxe Booster Seat is that it is built with a great height that allows your dog to peep out of your car’s window as you journey to your destination. The seat is large enough to enable snuggling by your dog.
- The seat is made with Oxford polyester.
- It comes with an adjustable strap.
- There is a safety leash and zipper pocket to keep your dog’s treat and other stuff.
- It has a distinct design that elevates your pet above the car seat.
3. BOCHAO Pet Booster Seat (Beat Storage for Dog Treat)
The BOCHAO Pet Booster Seat is preferred because of the ease of disassembling and installing. Its adjustable buckle is made to fit all car designs perfectly, and it is manufactured with outstanding durability to provide your pet with portable storage for cozy traveling.
- It has a high-density manufacture sponge.
- It comes with high-quality cotton filling.
- The manufacturing material includes propylene ribbon and Oxford cloth which give great sturdiness.
- The internal filling consists of PP cotton, which offers adequate environmental protection.
4. BLOBLO Pet Booster Seat (Best Resistant to Bite)
As you commute in your car, the BLOBLO Pet Booster Seat provides carrying comfort and seating security for your dog because of its upholstered fabrics and cushioned armchair. Besides, it is resistant to bite because of its polypropylene webbing design and comes with several features, which are adaptable to use in your car.
- A buckle has been made with it to keep your dog safe on the car seat.
- It comes in several colors.
- There are side storage pockets to keep your dog things.
- Oxford and propylene webbings are used to make this booster seat.
- It is resistant to bite and wear.
- It is non-static and non-sticky.
5. Kurgo Car Pet Booster Seat (Best Resistance to Water)
The exterior water-resistance design of the Kurgo Car Pet Booster Seat makes it a better choice among others. This seat ensures that your pet is kept safe with the internal metal frames used as a source of support. Besides, no assembling is required before you set it up for your pet, and it can support up to 30 lbs weight.
- It has an internal fleece lining.
- The exterior is made to resist water.
- It comes with storage pockets in the front and sides.
- There is a tether for the seat belt.
6. PetSafe Happy Ride Jumbo Booster Seat (Best Structural Support)
The PetSafe Happy Ride Jumbo Booster Seat gives your pet one of the best safe ride views without the anxiety of falling off the seat. It comes with a tether, which has a
2000 LB strength. This tether provides adequate safety for your pet and can be securely installed.
- It comes with a Safe-T-Core technology which gives better structural integration to your car’s seat.
- You can use it for pets up to 30 lbs.
- Your pet can be elevated up to 9 inches above your car seat.
- It comes with a seat core, which does not trap offensive odor.
7. Devoted Doggy Deluxe Booster Car Seat (Best for Storage)
Devoted Doggy Deluxe Booster Car Seat provides an extra-soft plushy coziness for your dog as you journey to your destination. With this seat, your dog will enjoy her unobstructed peep out of your car window while being securely safe by the straps attached to the rear end of the car seat.
- It has a custom fit adjustable clip-on.
- It has a zippered pocket at the side for safely keeping your dog’s treat and other stuff.
- The supporting metal frame is collapsible.
- It comes with a washable liner.
8. Pet Gear Booster Seat (Best Lightweight)
The Pet Gear Booster Seat is one of our listed products with removable pillow plush that offers the needed comfort for your dog. There is a firm harness where you can attach the tether and keep your dog in place throughout your journey.
- It is designed with better height to enable good peeks for your pet.
- Comes with a pillow for better coziness.
- It is lightweight.
- Has an internal fabric design, which is bite-resistant.
9. JESPET Dog Booster Seats for Cars (Best Window-view Elevation)
The JESPET Dog Booster Seats for Cars comes with an excellent standard belt seat, which helps to elevate your pet to the window-viewing position. The strap provides a security leash for your dog against sudden fall.
- It has large pockets to store your dog’s treat.
- The booster car seat is collapsible.
- It is lightweight.
- The internal floor is laid with a pad.
- It has a headrest for your pet’s comfort.
- Comes with a durable strap that keeps your pet safe.
10. Petsfit Dog Car Seat (Best Harness Space)
The Petsfit Dog Car Seat is the only booster seat on our list that features a double washable cushion. This cushion provides the needed warmth for your pet, especially during the winter. It is made with Oxford plush fabric, which gives the desired coziness.
- It comes with a safety belt for the security of your dog.
- It has a detachable inner side dual pad.
- There is a back safety buckle to ensure that the booster seat is properly fastened to your car’s seat.
- It has a durable support structure, which resists mechanical collapse.
- It comes with storage pockets where you can keep your dog’s treat.
- Your dog is kept safe by using the buckle rope’s harness.
The Buyer’s Guide for Best Dog Car Seats For Large Dogs
It will be a thrilling experience to take your dog with you on that journey, but you must ensure to secure her properly, whether she’s sitting on the front or rear seat of your car. A good booster seat has several unique features, which all provide your pet’s safety needs. Our buying guide will give you some hints as you prepare to buy that booster seat.
Why Do You Need the Best Dog Car Seat for Large Dogs?
Although you may be thinking that dog car seats only provide excellent comfort for your large pets, there are more reasons you might need this item other than the coziness it will provide. Here are some of the reasons:
- The law: Driving with an unsecured pet is now regarded as careless driving by the updated Highway Code, and going against this law may attract a fine of up to $5000. Your insurance may also be invalidated even if the accident cause isn’t related to your traveling pet. Hence, you must always ensure to restrain your pets from distracting you while driving.
- It prevents dog chewing and biting: The best way to protect your car seat from being chewed by your dog is to use the booster seat. So, if you’re looking to protect your car seat’s integrity, you may want to consider one of these large dog car seats.
- It prevents motion sickness: Most dog seats will keep your pet at a high altitude where they can peep from your car’s window and look at the environment. The inability of your pet to play or look around may cause motion sickness.
Types of Dog Car Seats
There are majorly three types of car seats for your large dog, which include:
1: Bed-styled Dog Seat
The bed-styled dog seat is preferably used for longer trips because it gives your pet a place to sleep during the period of the trip. Your pet can as well sit comfortably on it. The dual nature of this seat—serving as a bed and a seat—makes it a remarkable product, especially for dogs that may be suffering from nervousness. Such a dog can easily lower her head and snuggle within the comfort of the seat. These seats can even fit in a bike cart to provide extra comfort during long rides.
2: Carrier-Styled Dog Car Seat
Some dog seats offer a carrying advantage. Aside from using them in the car, you can also use them as pet carriers as you walk around the picnic park or take an exciting moment to trek the metropolis. The dual nature of such seats makes them preferred by some people. Besides, if you are low on a budget and wouldn’t want to spend your money twice—for a car seat and a carrier, you might want to consider the option of a carrier-styled dog seat.
3: Bucket-style Dog Seat
The bucket-style dog seat is the most popular option in the market. It is usually looks like a bucket and comes with tethers and straps clipped to the seat harness. It significantly raises your dog above your car seat so that they can have a view of the surroundings while on the journey.
How to Select the Best Dog Car Seat for Large Dogs?
You might have found out that there are different designs and models for a car dog seat. Hence, if you’re looking to select the best option, ensure to consider the following factors:
Ease of use
A car dog seat will be of no benefit to you or your dog if you cannot quickly unpack, install, uninstall and reinstall it. First, you should know how often you will be moving your pet around with the seat, and you may also want to check if the other accessories accompanying the seat can be easily removed and replaced.
Any car dog seat you choose must be able to accommodate the size of your dog. As a rule of thumb, it is better if you already know your dog’s dimensions before you head to the nearby pet store. Your dog should be able to turn around in the seat with ease.
You may want to leave your options open as you consider the weight of the car dog seat you want for your pet. Seats with lesser weights tend to give your pet the desired coziness because what they lack in weight has been replenished by their cozy plush fabrics. Your dog may find it uncomfortable to snuggle around a heavy seat or those that do not have the necessary cushioning.
An excellent car dog seat should be cleanable. Some options have removable covers, which you can either be hand-wash or machine-wash. Other seats may only need damp cleaning. Either way, no one likes a smelly seat.
Padding and other materials
Some fabrics may irritate your dog’s skin; you might want to discuss your pet’s health condition with your vet before you purchase any seat design or material. Some other seats do not come with enough padding, and this can cause uneasiness for your pet. You may want to go for the best plush and padding to make sure that your dog is comfortable. A model that comes with pockets to store dog accessories such as water bottles, food, and feeders is an added advantage.
Your car type
Although most of the dog car seats on our list are compatible with almost all cars, we wouldn’t want you to buy one that will become useless. Some of these seats may require a headrest for their installation, and some cars do not have it—this may make a great dog car seat useless. Another thing is that some back seats lack shoulder belts, posing a great danger for your unfastened dog. Hence, it is essential to ensure that your car will work well with the type of dog car seat you want to procure.
The breed of your dog may also dictate the type of car seat you should purchase. Dog breeds such as dachshunds, which are long, may need longer car seats, while pugs with more/heavy bodies may require wider seats. Please take note of the dimension of your dog and the seat before you buy them.
You may want to consider how long you will be using the dog car seat. If you’re looking to travel occasionally with your dog, you may want to order less expensive models for longer and repeated trips.
Where To Get Your Dog Car Seat
You can always take a walk to your nearby local store if you want to get a car seat for your large dog. You may also order from online stores if a store is not near you or if you do not fancy moving about to buy things.
Provided below are some answers to frequently asked questions about dog car seats:
How Safe Are Dog Car Seats?
Dog car seats are safe. Besides, you wouldn’t want to be distracted by your dog’s uneasiness or roaming when you do not use a dog car seat. They are secure and will protect your dogs against any unforeseen accident as long as they are properly installed on your car seat.
Can I Attach the Safety Clip of My Car Seat to My Dog’s Collar?
It is not safe to attach the safety clip of your car seat to your dog’s collar. You should not attach the tether either because any sudden accident might cause injury to your pet. You should only attach the safety clip to the harness.
Can My Dog Develop Traveling Sickness with a Raised Seat?
You may think that having your dog on the raised car seat may cause motion or traveling sickness, but this is not so. The raised seat provides your dog with an avenue to reduce her anxiety and boredom. She can always take a peek at the outside. But if you think your dog is fearful and will prefer the comfort within your car, you might want to guard against outside peeking.
Ensure to purchase that dog seat if you are conscious of the safety of your dog. These seats come in various styles and with different features to provide the desired security and coziness. The K & H Bucket Booster Pet Seat is our overall best, but your choice will majorly depend on some features compatible with your car and your dog. Whichever product you decide to choose, ensure that it is comfortable and safe for your pet.